Sunday, June 6, 2010

These are a few of my favorite things...


I have just finished the book "Hungry" by supermodel Crystal Renn. It left me with goosebumps and a sense of knowing, "Me, just as I am...I'm O.K". For any one who has ever struggled with body image issues, eating disorders or plain old vanity itself, pick this book up. It is refreshing, releasing, restorative and funny. It's the story of a girl and her journey in modeling, her struggles with food and her realizations about her body. I was simply blessed by it...especially the last chapter, Real is the New Black which spurred me on to write this.



In one of her (meaningful) rants about photo shopping she says "Perfect is the new normal. And that's a problem." Yes!, Yes! YES! Lately, I find myself unable to keep up. As I brows through fitness magazines I find myself putting them down feeling as if I have just been in a fight and lost. Walking through malls I compare myself to a mannequin and since when do I need to be in competition with an inanimate object? I would love to always have the right perspective on my life and the reality of it all but often it gets lost in glitz, glam and striving.

Thank you Crystal today you brought me make to earth, back to reality, back to what is important and what is true. She emphasizes we focus on things that have nothing to do with looks, like being a good friend, or the different talents we offer the world. And that fact that we all need to...

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle"

As a good reminder that we are simply in this thing called life together I appreciate those words greatly. I suppose this would be the appropriate segwey into my next favorite thing on this beautiful but slightly chilly Sunday...my church.

I have been attending The Meeting House for the last two years or so. I am not always able to sit in the service because I get to hang out with the grade 1-2's, so I often listen to it after on a podcast. Right now Bruxy the Teaching Pastor is talking about Evangelism. That's something that I...well...kind of don't do. Yet, I so desire for people to know the peace that comes with having a full time relationship with Jesus. Anyways, I am looking forward to the challenge to live out my faith and just thought I would share in case you are in that place too. It's a great listen and you can check it out at

www.themeetinghouse.ca (Sorry don't know how to hyperlink it...the thingy isn't working)

Go to teachings.

Blessings and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment